Friday, May 8, 2009

We have a winner!

Silver Squirrel Award Boy, that was fast!

Good job, Jamie, you're the latest winner of the Silver Squirrel award, with your correct answer that "Australia Australia Australia, we love ya!" is from a Monty Python skit. Specifically, the Bruces skit, AKA the Philosophers song skit.

This remains one of my favorites, and it shows just how clever and intelligent the Pythons were and are. I can't hear a mention of one of these philosophers without this song going through my head. Lyrics first, then video. I hope you'll join in and sing along--it's a very catchy tune!

The Philosophers Song

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table
David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
With half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram
And René Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am"

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed


6 comments:

  1. I won! In your FACE!! I have a silver squirrel and yooooou don't! Er, I mean, thank you. I actually don't even like Monty Python. For whatever reason, that particular thing stuck in my head though.
    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coincidence.... I started reading a book this morning that has several chapters about defining exactly what a philosopher is. The song makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I drink, therefore I am" ...I think a lot of people live out that philosophy, possibly unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monty Python cracks me up as so do you! Hoping your day is being good to you. Take care,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my favorite Monty skit is the pet shop, followed closely by the cheese shop... and of course... as a military wife, I appreciate the "how not to be seen" spoof. :) Thanks for the lyrics.... it's not always easy to understand them when they sing.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?