Sunday, October 25, 2009

Is it just me?

Adam Lambert Or is it hot in here?

Yesterday, we got a copy of Details magazine in the mail, a men's magazine kind of like Maxim, I guess. (Do they even publish Maxim anymore? I don't think they do.) Ken hadn't subscribed to it, but it's published by Conde Nast, and they recently stopped publishing several magazines, so maybe this is a substitution for a travel magazine we were getting. Either way, Ken kind of glanced at it and handed it to me to put into recycling.

Adam Lambert is on the cover, and you all might remember that we really liked Adam from "American Idol" (yes, we watch—don’t you judge me), and liked him from the very beginning, even the auditions. I still think he got robbed, although obviously he's going to do just fine for himself. The guy has a voice that sends shivers down my spine, and I don't say that often. Fellow blogger Howard recently put up Adam's video for the song from "2012," and although it's not really my style, I love his voice and I think the song will do well.

He came out after the competition, although it was pretty obvious long before that he was either gay or bisexual. (The pictures of him kissing a boy were a strong clue. Hey, just call me Sherlock.) There was much speculation of whether his sexuality was an issue in his loss on AI, were people not ready to accept a gay American Idol, blah di blah blah. I really don't think it had much to do with that. The guy was just too much for the people who like things sort of low key, just nice family-friendly pop music. The guy has a monster voice and is flamboyant and has definite sex appeal. If you're a parent watching AI with your 13-year-old daughter, do you want her to imagine going out on a date to the movies with boy-next-door Kris, or do you want her having dark fantasies about Adam doing naughty things to her in the back of his smokin' hot car? Haha! I exaggerate to make a point, but Adam definitely has a sort of raw, dangerous sexuality that was probably a little intimidating for some folks.

Adam Lambert2 I applaud him for being honest about his sexuality, and if you're in music and have sex appeal and charisma, you're a fool if you don't use it. As the Dandy Warhols say, "You ain't got the music if you ain't got the muscle!" When asked about it, he has said that he likes women, they're pretty, and he likes kissing them...he just doesn't sleep with them. We're such prudes in this country, and I find it refreshing to hear someone say, "Yeah, this is me, I like this." Gone are the days when Hollywood stars had to hide their homosexuality, even entering into bogus marriages arranged by their studios. It seems a little barbaric now, don't you think?

Anyhoo, back to the magazine. I started glancing through it and looked at the story on Adam. There was also a photo shoot involved, and I think my initial comment may have been something like "Holy shit!" There are pictures of him with a nude woman, with artful hand placement. (See all the pictures here.) This was pretty much the conversation at Nutwood:

Me: [holding magazine up to show Ken] Look at this!
Ken: [nodding]
Me: [looking at the next picture, a two-page spread] Oh my God! Look at this!
Ken: [laughing]
Me: These are HOT!
Ken: Do you want me to get a subscription to Playgirl for you?
Me: [laughing] No.
Ken: PlayBOY?
Me: [laughing] No! But man...these are HOT!

I haven't read the article yet, haha.

I say hey, good for you, Adam. If you've got it, flaunt it. Because man...these pictures are HOT!

13 comments:

  1. They are hot! Except for th dorky hairdo they gave him or he gave himself. I liked the grunge cut so much better, it was rugged and...more manly? (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I even crack myself up in print, Sherlock :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he was going for that 50's throwback look! I LOVE it! HOT HOT HOT! HOLY SHIT!

    be well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot! Scandalous! Shocking!...Adam is with...a woman!

    All kidding aside, the shoot looks good. His PR people know what they are doing. I like the retro vibe of shot four. Brando meets Dean; I like that kind of look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing at your conversation over the pictures. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Glambert.
    Liked him on AI--I won't judge you if you don't judge me--and I, too, thought he was robbed.
    But I heard on one of the newsie-news shows, during a break in Ballon Boy stories, or what I will now call, Crawl Space Boy [thanks NPR], that there was some concern that the record label wanted these more hetero pictures published so as not to damage his career by being labeled the "gay" singer.
    Hmmm, "gay" singer.
    Has it hurt Elton? kd? Melissa? George?

    In other words, people, we can handle our singers and talk show hosts and actors being gay.
    It's okay.
    There. I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well stick ya tongue back in ya mouth beth.lol. im shocked,lol take care,love mort.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Beth,
    I think you should start a Nutwood Junction reality show ... that exchange between you and Ken is better than scripted television.
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think they axed him because he was too 'emo' and again, the image was not what the execs at american idol wanted to 'sell' to the viewing public.

    i'm with you. people should be able to be who they are without fear of consequences.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do believe very strongly that gays and lesbians have a right to do as they wish. They are humans and I met a lot. I worked at the Cornhusker hotel and also Klein's grocery and there were many that came in and in fact one of mt co-workers who confided in me that he was gay. He relieved me at the end of my shift and he knew I would head for Alan's apt. as soon as I got off work. He also knew my son was dieing of complications of MS. He came to my sons funeral and just was there if I needed him. Another gay man came in one day and it was a very emotional day and there was no one at my counter and he just said, "a bad day" and he just walked around the counter and wrapped his arms around me and said "you need a hug," Thw picture of the tongue all I can say is yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooh yeah, they are HOT and so is Adam. I saw the spread last week & thought it was awesome. I really like his new song & video. I think his cd will do really well.

    I love the kid, have since I laid eyes on him and told my secretary (yeah, we both watch it and she's 63) there is something special about him. He's the whole package in my opinion.

    His boyfriend is gorgeous too - they make such a hot couple. Gay, straight, bi.....whatevah, he's very sensual. :o

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looked at Lambert's photo spread a day ago but reading this post gave me a reason to go back and look again. I watch AI as well, and Adam was my favorite. I totally agree that his sensuality and overt sexiness may have cost him the win. Of course,I prefer having fantasies about being in the backseat of his smokin' hot car, but then that's a story for another time.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?