Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Double poke

VaccineI had to have blood drawn this morning for the wellness program through Ken’s work. It was fasting, and although I don’t have any problem going all day without eating, I sure missed my Trop-A-Rocka Snapple this morning! I went to the grocery store afterwards, and managed to not buy the store out, but I scarfed down a bowl of cottage cheese when I got home. I was getting pretty hungry!

While I was at the doctor’s office, I decided to put my money where my shoulder is...or something like that. I can’t recall the last time I had a tetanus shot, and with living out in the country, I thought it wasn’t a bad idea to get a booster. Also, I’ve been reading about outbreaks of pertussis (whooping cough) in various parts of the country, and figured I’d go for the trifecta and get the Tdap, which includes diphtheria in a lower dose for adults. As a strong vaccine advocate, I did my part to help with herd immunity.

As an adult, I wasn’t worried about getting pertussis myself; it’s mild and self-limiting in adults. But with a couple of young great-nephews, as well as an elderly mom and mother-in-law, I thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get it. I had the vaccine when I was a kid, of course, but the whole-cell vaccine used at that time is one of the least effective vaccines and immunity wanes over time. I’ve been reading that the acellular vaccine used now might not protect as long as anticipated, so I suspect there will be more studies to find out what is going on.

The current outbreaks I’m reading about, though, are due to unvaccinated populations. And if you’ve been paying attention, I think you know how I feel about THAT! I’m to the point where I don’t think there should be any religious exemptions—you’re not just endangering your own child, you’re endangering others around your kids—but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. To take it a step further, I think anyone who doesn’t obtain medical treatment for their kid based on religious/personal beliefs should be prosecuted for negligence and endangerment. I am just appalled by such behavior. Those kids aren’t making their own decisions.


Anyway, I’ve got a slightly sore arm, but nothing major. However, if I suddenly develop mental retardation, you’ll know what happened. You’ll be able to see the signs, I’m sure. I’ll start talking about voting for Mittens, and about how Planned Parenthood should be defunded, and demanding to see NOBAMA’S birth certificate. [snicker]

2 comments:

  1. I am going to get a whooping cough vac too... it came up in a class today and the young lady convinced me it was the right thing to do...

    ...speaking of Mittens... it looks like it him and the President going the full 15-rounds now... I am going to be interested in seeing what kind of campaigns are going to be run...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons Miss Ginger does what she does is so ANYONE in Houston can the vaccinations they need! It's so important to everyone's health!

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?