Sunday, June 24, 2012

Railsplitter

Today we met Cousin Shane and Matt for lunch at a local wing joint and got caught up on things. We had a few doo-dads from Route 66 for them, including something that was a super cool find. At the Blue Swallow Motel, they had a rack of vintage, uncirculated postcards of Tucumcari, New Mexico. Based on the cars, it dates from the early ‘50s. The owner said that a guy found tons of old postcards in an estate sale, or something like that, and they bought as many as they could afford at the time. I couldn’t resist that, so I got us one and Shane and Matt one. I couldn’t write about it until now, since I hadn’t given it to them yet! After a good chat about our trip and about what was happening with their house and pool, we headed over to see a matinee of “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.”

Ken, Matt, and I had all read the book and loved it. The movie has been getting some brutal reviews, including that it is a “sin against entertainment,” the “worst thing to happen to Lincoln since he went to the play,” and has “massive lapses in plausibility.” As one Facebook commenter put it, “They went to see a movie about Abraham Lincoln killing vampires and they weren't expecting lapses in plausibility?” Brilliant!

I really don’t know if they were expecting some sort of deep and philosophical movie, but seriously. Abraham Lincoln. Killing vampires. With his axe. This is not high theater, folks. It’s all about em-effin’ Abraham Lincoln killing em-effin’ vampires with his em-effin’ axe. It was fantastic fun, with plenty of blood spatter and flying, decapitated vampire heads. Definitely not for everyone, but we all enjoyed it. Oh, and it was in 3D! It reminded me of a movie you might see at a drive-in theater in 3D, and you all know that I love drive-in theaters!

It’s gory and fun and silly and doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I really don’t see anything wrong with that, either! It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I found it a super fun summer movie. Despite my fairly pronounced skepticism, I’ve never had a hard time suspending disbelief and just enjoying the ride, whether it’s a book or a movie. (The exception is when lab-related stuff is completely implausible. That pisses me off. It’s probably the same for anyone else in whatever profession is portrayed.)
Fun lunch, fun movie, great company, and great afternoon! I hope your Sunday was as pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the book, too, and can't wait to see the movie.
    Abraham Lincoln.
    Killing vampires.
    Sounds plausible to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably loved "The Andromeda Strain," didn't you?

    (I did!!)

    Based on your comments, I'll probably see it but wait until it is on DVD. Too many films to see this summer.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?