Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Game time

Hoosiers for ObamaWhat a long, strange trip it’s been. After a seemingly never-ending campaign, we’ve come down to the end of it, and it’s just a matter of waiting for results to roll in. I’m hoping we’ll get a clear picture tonight, and based on all I’ve been reading, we will.

I think my guy is going to win, but of course I’m nervous and anxious anyway. I’m not going to go into polls, momentum, demographics, or anything like that in this entry. It is what it is, and time is winding down. I can say that although I will still enjoy reading political books and analysis, I’m looking forward to not being all but consumed by the latest polls and reporting. My brain will be happy for the reprieve.

It’s been a weird day for my emotions. I started out almost giddy, in a high state of hilarity and laughing at silly things I found online. Then I moved into determination, as in “We’ve got to win this.” Then I was feeling a little sad, because I love this stuff, it’s been fascinating, and in some ways I hate to see the excitement end. Now I’m just trying to be patient as we start to wait for results. I think it’s a safe bet to say that I will end up shedding some tears tonight.

In the meantime, I’m sporting my “Hoosiers for Obama” t-shirt, and I’ve got a pork roast going for pulled pork sandwiches tonight. Seems like good comfort food for tonight, and maybe barbecue, cole slaw, and baked beans will work some mojo on North Carolina and turn it blue again!

I also find that I remain in awe of our right to vote. We have our share of problems with our voting process (Can we please get rid of the abhorrent Citizens United? And can we follow the lead of other countries and ban advertising? What a horrible waste of money.), but I will always be grateful that I am able to cast my vote as a free citizen. I take it seriously, I do my best to stay informed, and I feel that it is an honor that should not be ignored or dismissed. I will never understand anyone who doesn’t care enough to vote, and it makes me question their intelligence. I’m not kidding.


So batten down the hatches, folks! It could be a bumpy ride tonight. I’m going to do my best to keep my adrenaline in check and not completely wig out. I hope you are able to do the same!

2 comments:

  1. i was peeved that we had to go to PD today instead of being able to be off and watching the election coverage. the lines in some precincts here have been 2-3 hours long. tony voted this morning and said it was 10 mins, i was later in the day and it took about 30 min but i spoiled my ballot twice and had to forfeit and redo it.

    seeing so many people doing so much to exercise their opinion makes me proud to be a us citizen.

    and i hope our guy wins too!

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very hopeful Beth. We've put a lot of work into making sure he was re-elected. It doesn't hurt that many of our opponents are idiots. I also think our efforts to mobilize different groups will pay off. We'll hopefully know by the time we go to bed tonight!

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?