Thursday, May 16, 2013

Beth’s Music Moment: “(You Will) Set the World on Fire” - David Bowie

BowieAbout a week after it came out, I wrote about the amazing new Bowie album, “The Next Day.”

I listened to it nonstop for two weeks, and although I’ve been on a Stones kick for a while for obvious reasons, I’ve been listening to this album again for the past week.

The entire thing is just fantastic, and the more I listen to it, the more I love it. My favorite track is the one in the title of this entry. It reminds me a little of “(Cat People) Putting Out Fire” in its rock anthem-ness. It is an absolute scorcher of a song, and I cannot get enough of it. Props to the person who did the fan video posted here. Very cool visuals!

1. Bowie’s voice. Holy shit, that ethereal voice!! As someone once described Jim Morrison’s voice, it is “a fist in a velvet glove.” It’s all cognac and cigarette smoke and a caress on the cheek and a finger up the ass. It is nasty goodness, and his voice on this track just SOARS.

2. At around the 1:25 mark in this video, he absolutely chews through the lyrics. When he says, “We are in the wat-uh,” it just makes me feel crazy. CRAZY.

3. The guitar solo around 2:10 is smokin’ hot. That sustained note is just INCREDIBLE.

4. Things really start building around 2:40, and when he yells “You will set it on fi-yaaah!” at 2:50, it’s like a freakin’ climax. After listening to it a couple of times today when working out, I actually said, “Ohhh, David!” haha

This whole song is one big aural orgasm. It unleashes my Inner Lizard. As Rolling Stone said, “Holy shit, David Bowie.”

If I still smoked, I’d have a cigarette right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?