Saturday, June 29, 2013

Going Green (Day)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         I’m happy to report that after several delays, a cancellation, and a flight change, Ken was finally able to make it to Omaha. Has anyone else noticed that flying is getting to be more of a hassle than it’s worth? I’m glad we started driving to Florida once I stopped working. Road trips are much less stressful, and it’s fun to see some scenery and maybe find a fun and different place along the way for lunch and dinner. Traffic jams are annoying, too, but it’s better than sitting on your ass in an airport. Anyway, he finally made it!

I got a good workout in today, and even managed to get an hour in the sun before the clouds and rain rolled in. I’m sorry I didn’t get to spend more time outside, but hey...weather, right?

I’m also sorry if I seem to be fixated on Green Day right now, but I kind of am. I was writing to Shane earlier today and told him how much I was enjoying this album trilogy (although I haven’t gotten to “Tre!” yet). I said that I really liked them back in the Dookie-Nimrod days, and then it was like I just moved in another direction and kind of left Green Day behind. *sob* I’m so sorry, guys! I don’t know what I was thinking! I continued to like them when I heard their songs on the radio, but just wasn’t as much into them. My loss, because as I’ve gotten back into them, it’s like I’m re-discovering them all over again and I am LOVING IT.

Hey, Billie Joe, why are you wearing my pants?! Take ‘em off! No, really…take ‘em off.

55888316KW037_greenday“Dos!” strikes me as having a little more of a ‘50s/’60s feel to it...some almost doo-wop harmonies and rhythms, but with a harder edge, of course. I’ve only listened to it once all the way through, so I look forward to playing it many more times. I was immediately struck by the opening song, “See You Tonight.” It has a folksy feel to it, with sweet harmonies and a gentle sound. I was like, “Well, THIS is different, Green Day!” Then...THEN...the next song starts up almost immediately, and I laughed out loud. That’s my Green Day! It’s a sweet little love song called “Fuck Time.” Haha! Man, this is just pure raunch and roll, with that rolling rockabilly guitar riff, Billie Joe’s moans and laughter and shouting “Baby baby, it’s fuck time!”, and a kickass guitar solo. But still some nice harmonies, don’t you think? What a great contrast between these two songs, and a great kickoff to the album. This just makes me grin, and I could listen to it over and over again—and I have been! (I think they got some of the lyrics wrong in this fan-made video, but don’t nitpick!) You know I’d be on the dance floor for this one, jumping up and down, hands in the air, and singing along! This is music that speaks to the Inner Lizard!

In my book, the #1 companion songs are still “Shoo-Be-Doo/Candy-O” by the Cars, but this baby just skyrocketed up the charts to #2 for me. With a bullet! I really think it’s the juxtaposition of the sweet folksy song immediately transitioning into a balls-to-the-wall song with the completely unsubtle title “Fuck Time.” Man, that just delights me! Billie Joe, you’re a little maniac! What would you like to do first? (Does anyone get that reference?)

TURN IT UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?