Friday, September 27, 2013

Wearin’ o’ the Green

Notre Dame greenKen should get back from NYC late tonight, and hopefully he’ll get a good enough night of sleep that he’ll be ready to go for tomorrow’s game!

Notre Dame is playing Oklahoma, and the word is out that everyone should try to wear green to counteract the Sooner Red. Got it covered! I’ve got plenty of green ND shirts, and as you can see below, I’m even going with green nail polish. (No, it’s not a perfect manicure. So sue me.) Of course, I had to make the obvious joke (for me) that this means Saturday at Notre Dame is going to be a…(you know what’s coming, right?)...a GREEN DAY! See what I did there? I wish some deep-pocketed and well-connected alums would make it a true “Green Day at Notre Dame” and bring in the band! Maybe they could play “Fuck Time.” Bahaha! But I’m not going to hold my breath.

It looks as though it will be a perfect day, with warm temperatures and plenty of sunshine. Probably too warm for the players, but it’s kind of a crapshoot this time of year. I was chilled to the bone last week against MSU, but this Saturday it’s supposed to get up to around 80°. Great day for tailgating, and we’ll load up the truck and stop and get sandwiches on the way tomorrow. This could very well be our last tailgating for the year, because the next home game is October 19th against Southern Cal. It might turn out to be nice enough, and if so, we’ll say hit me baby one more time! But we usually figure on heading to one of the sports bars near campus for lunch and beverages around this time of year.

ND nailsWe were hoping to have Shane and Matt come out and tailgate with us tomorrow, but Shane has to work, drat it all! I hope we get a chance next season, because Matt has never been to an ND tailgate, and he definitely needs to experience one!

I finished this week’s lectures for History of Rock, and really enjoyed them. The prof made the great point that the British Invasion groups of the ‘60s took two paths. One type was the Beatles-style groups, more focused on vocals, harmony, and a polished sound, and one was the Stones-style groups, who sounded grittier and had a harder sound. But the two British bands that defied categorization were the Kinks and the Who. I couldn’t agree more. Both combined the heavy sound of the Stones with the clever lyrics of the Beatles. I have to say that Professor Covach really knows his shit, and I am really enjoying his take on all of this. I look forward to Part Two, as well as his Beatles course in February. I think my sister (the Beatlemaniac) is going to sign up for that one! I’m taking this course without the accompanying book (written by the prof), but I may look for a copy at some point. I think I’d really like reading his book.

Now I need to get back to the Stephen King book, and I’m looking forward to getting a lot read tonight.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend, and GO IRISH!

1 comment:

  1. i hope he talks about the jam (i think it may be too soon in the time frame of the lectures). i love the jam!

    have a great tailgate!

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?