Friday, October 17, 2008

Is there a problem, ossifer?



From our local paper:

Driver taken to jail after 10 mph chase

Tribune Staff Report

MISHAWAKA – Police arrested a 67-year-old woman Tuesday night, alleging she led officers on a chase that never exceeded 10 mph.



According to police reports, an officer patrolling the area near the intersection of McKinley and Grape roads noticed a slow-moving Toyota being driven north erratically just before 11 p.m. The officer activated his patrol car’s lights and attempted to stop the vehicle near the K-mart plaza parking lot, but the car continued north on Grape Road, slowing to between 5 and 10 mph.

Police said the driver turned right onto Imus Court and continued to slow down, but the vehicle didn’t stop. The officer reported turning on his siren, which caused the Toyota to stop. As the officer got out his car, the car began moving slowly again.


The driver finally stopped in the 300 block of Imus Court, where police approached the vehicle and noticed a smell of alcohol. Officers found a cooler with two bottles smelling of alcohol and a glass containing an alcoholic beverage in her cup holder. Police gave the woman a portable breath test, which indicated she had a .114 blood-alcohol level. A test conducted later at the Mishawaka Police Department showed a .14 blood-alcohol level.


Police arrested the woman and took her to the St. Joseph County jail.

*****


I have to say that I am completely stunned that there was alcohol involved in this incident! Who would ever have guessed that?

"Okay, I've had one too many, but if I drive reeeeally slooooow, no one will know. I'll be extra careful not to run into any trashcans or curbs or people, and I'll make it home just fine!" It cracks me up that she slowed down to FIVE miles per hour, and that after she finally stopped and the officer got out of his car, she started rolling again. Hahahaha!

This made me think of the "Seinfeld" episode in which George gets busted for using a handicap scooter and there's a slow speed chase on the sidewalks of New York. It remains my second-favorite episode, after the Master of Your Domain episode.

14 comments:

  1. I wonder if this is the same woman that is typically in our area. This lady is always at the 7-11 down the road from my house on sample. One day, my husband and I were down there getting a slurpee (I'm totally addicted, thank god we live down the road from one) and the police are there with this little old lady. My husband asked what was going on (the cashier's know us after living in the area for two years) and they said the LOL in question was drunk, fell when she got out of her car and hit her head on the curb. You know what the officers did? They drove her home. No ticket, no arrest, nothing. Everyone there was pissed that this woman was allowed to endanger others lives without consequences seemingly because the officers didn't want to arrest an LOL. Normally I don't complain about the police around here but that was one time I was more than annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story makes me think of that scene in Dumb and Dumber, when they get pulled over. LOL

    I love "Seinfeld" and those are a couple of my favorite ones! I love when Kramer "Cosmo" has a fake TV studio in is apartment, or when they dope the woman up to play with her toys. There too many to think about, but the show is up there on my list.

    A few years back, my wife Lisa and I went to see Jerry Seinfeld in Peoria , Illinois. We went to the first show, and he had some problems with his Microphone, so he improvised. HA HA

    The second show went smoothly, and I'm glad that we chose the first one. At the end of the set he had the audience ask questions, and someone asked him when they were going to do another show? "He said it was wonderful to do the show, and they will not do reunion show"

    Then a person shouted "When you coming back to Peoria"
    Jerry "When am I coming back! I'm here now! I'm right here now! You see me standing on this stage! I'm here Right Now!" Ha Ha

    I still quote that when someone asked when am I coming, or when I will see them again.

    I remember going into it thinking that the show could suck, but amazed at his stand up. I just thought the show had an tremedous cast, and that it would be hard to laugh after that!

    I recomend if he comes around your area, to check it out. Ha Ha

    Thanks for the laughs,
    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am appalled at Jamie's story above. In no way, shape or form, should they have allowed that LOL to go free..with just a ride home. She already hurt herself, and she was driving! DUI is a dispicable offense, totally preventable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...Seinfeld is my all time favorite show..I have watched the episodes so much I practically have them memorized.

    My favorite was the Merv Griffin Set...I just roll on the floor laughing at that one. The Scooter one is good too, ah heck, they are all good!

    That is so funny about the lady, yeah, I guess she thought if she puttered along they wouldn't notice. What a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can NOT believe i am commenting on this entry, WTH.

    did you know that George Jones would get drunk and Tammy Wynette would hide his car keys so he would stay home and not leave again to go back to the bars and he would get on his John Deere tractor and ride it, drunk, on the roads back to the bar?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her twin lives right down the street from me.
    Last month, she even caused an accident. Seems she spiked her Starbucks, thinking the coffee would hide the scent.
    Hugs Laini

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a strange lady. I can't walk straight even without alcohol but sitting down since mine is not dizzy but balance, I can drive. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  8. am I reading correctly and she blew drunker at the second test than at the first? what was SHE drinking!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so behind on your journal it is way down on my list on google reader I wish I could rearrange them , anyway , we have a guy here who was arrested for driving his electric wheelchair while intoxicate and no it wasn't dad though he in his younger days should of been lol
    hugs
    Sherry
    http://onebiteonestepatatime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The things people do will always amaze me. I laughed out loud at your story.
    Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother got stopped one night on his way home from the bar-Walking! Yep. 2 blocks.
    Did that woman think she was going to outrun the officer? At 5mph? He wasn't in his car, after all.

    :) Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  12. A grandmother in our county was arrested for selling drugs out of her house. The first time they stopped her and found them in her car they kind gave her the benefit of doubt thinking a grandson had put them there. Took her to jail the second time and searched her house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to hear the thoughts of the officer doing the chasing. Glad no one was hurt during that chase!

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?