Monday, October 13, 2008

Whipping you-know-what



Please note the new widget at the top of this blog. Ken and I saw it on our friend Deb's blog, and thought it was such a great idea. Since we stopped smoking over two years ago, look at how much money we've saved! But what's even better is how much better we feel, how we aren't coughing and hacking like we used to, how our house doesn't smell like cigarette smoke anymore, and how much better our health is. I bet Sheeba is also happy to not have to be breathing in our smoke. If any of you are still struggling with trying to quit smoking, PLEASE don't hesitate to contact me for support, or to hear about the plan that Ken devised for us to stop smoking. It's the best thing I've ever done for my health (I suspect Ken probably feels the same way), and I will happily be your cheerleader, your confidante, and your supporter in your efforts to STOP THIS NASTY HABIT.

How about that wacky stock market?! Woohoo, way to rebound, you nut! Our pal Dan made the call, and what a relief to see some good news. Obviously, we're not out of the woods yet, but I think we all needed to see a little confidence in the market, and a nice big turnaround when it comes to buying should help a lot.

As far as the presidential campaigns (feel free to skip ahead a few paragraphs if you'd rather not read this), I think everyone gave Sen. McCain a lot of credit for stepping up on Friday and trying to calm his supporters down at his rallies...an attempt to take the anger down a notch. He was booed by his own supporters for his efforts, so now he is saying that he stands behind his supporters and understands their anger, and at his Virginia headquarters on Sunday, he pledged to kick some ass in the last debate this Wednesday.

“After I whip his you-know-what in this debate, we’re going to be going out 24/7,” he says of his and Palin’s campaigning.

Considering that the topic of the last debate is the economy, I'd say that Sen. McCain's ass-kickin' will be more "get" than "give." I'm really starting to wonder about McCain's volatility, and I don't just mean his temper. It's like he changes his tune from day-to-day--first he's conciliatory and trying to regain his honor, then he's right back to the mud-slinging and negative campaigning. I'm sorry to see that he has reverted to the nastiness and attacks rather than focus on the issues. I really don't think it's playing well, at least not with moderates, independents, and undecideds. Kind of sad to see, actually, and I hope that the rhetoric won't result in violence.

I spent some time in the garden today, trying to get more of the weeds cleared off. I got the rest of the tall stuff, but the wild strawberry vines are just too much to tackle. I think that if we cover them up this winter, they won't be able to get a hold of the garden beds in the spring. The mosquitoes are still terrible, and really, isn't it about time that they started dying off? Jeez! Of course, it's been 80° the past couple of days, so they're still thriving.

After I stopped working in the garden, since I already had bug spray on, I took a stroll down the path that Ken maintains through the marsh and wetlands. It was so nice and warm and sunny, and I got quite warm walking along! I went back into the woods a little bit, too, and it was so peaceful. As I continued on through the marsh, I could see little trails through the marsh grass where deer had made their way off of the main path, and I could see the spots where they bed down for the night, usually by a tree, either still living or downed. Some extra protection, I suppose. It made me want to start hiking back into the woods this fall, as the vegetation starts dying back. We are so lucky to have found this place, and I feel like we have our own little nature preserve.

I took a walk out front to check on some of the trees and bushes we've planted, and as I walked back down the driveway, the basketball hoop drew me.

I can't explain it, but I had a mad desire to shoot some hoops. I opened up the garage and pumped up my Pacers basketball, and started shooting some baskets. I had a blast, and even made a bunch of my shots! It seems that my best shot is the short jumper. HA! Get it? Short jumper? That's ME! I even did a couple of awkward layups, and made them! My long jumpshot sucks, though. I sure had fun doing that, and I foresee myself working on my mad skillz. Think I can learn to dunk it? Maybe if I can manage a 6-foot vertical leap. Looks like I've got some work to do.



18 comments:

  1. Congrats on quitting the nasty habit! Your walk sounds great! You have a piece of heaven on earth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you couldn't resist shooting hoops....you live in Indiana! Nice pictures.
    I would love to quit smoking and would welcome your input. I have tried several times and failed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you and Ken! I love the tracker at the top of your blog (I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to call it Journal!), and think it really puts it in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats for stopping smoking!!! its the best gift you and Ken could give each other!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shot of the basketball net! I used to shoot hoops all the time but haven't in years.

    OK...I have been wanting to quit smoking for a while now but just can't do it. I tried everything in the past and nothing worked so I am not optimistic at this point. I would love to hear what you guys did and how awesome you guys did it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just realized it's been a year for me, can't pinpoint the exact day...have to go back in my archives and see when Skye's car accident was. Paul hasn't been doing bad, he slipped up and brought a pack and smoked a few. He couldn't get past me with it though. I told him if your going to smoke, then don't hide it, at least own up to it. He said he didn't because he realized it was a stupid mistake and he was embarrassed. So he's back to the Nicorette gum now. He really struggles with smoking. Me? It's amazing when your health is on the line and being diagnosed with Emphysema how it removes that need/want to smoke. I'm positive the way I used to smoke, I would of been in some serious trouble right now if I kept it up.

    I love the wildlife around us. It's so amazing the deer don't seem to be threatened by Pickles. I had one poke it's head through the branches of a small tree a few feet from us, just watching what we were doing. There is a mother deer with 3 young ones. I think they're triplets. It's amazing, they come on our property because of all crabapple and pear trees. We leave the fallen produce on the ground so they can get it more easily.

    I'm afraid my garden is going to the weeds until Spring. I still have so much to do yet inside the house. I do love the concept of the smoking gadget at the top of the page. I might check it out myself. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glen quit smoking on 11/13/03 because the next day he was to undergo radiation for laryngeal cancer. I am convinced that had he not gotten sick, he would still be smoking!! He actually enjoyed it?? I don't see how, coughing, hacking, etc. Bball is such good exercise isn't it?? Even playing alone, you're competing with yourself! Nature is so grounding. Sounds like you guys have a slice of heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If my math is right election day will be two years since my last cigarrette. (quit cold turkey after ten years of a pack and a half a day.)

    But . . . I was just thinking today how not a day goes by when I don't miss the damn things.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quit over a year ago being a heavy smoker I saved $3.500 in the first year, so well done to the both of you.

    Yasmin
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I quit a few years ago but my x-husband (with emphazema) wouldn't give it up. His son called me on Saturday to tell me that my X, who is 57 years old is not expected to live out this week. Every single thing that is wrong with him is related to smoking. Too sad.
    Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two winters ago, I was working a job that aloowed me to work outdoors for the most part. It was January and I saw more mosquitos then I did all summer? Last winter lots of those little bloodsuckers.

    I used to play backetball every chance I got, but now shoot around sometimes. The pain of it is having to chase the ball down, so bought a couple extra ones. I just recently recieved a little hoop for Malayna, so we will be shooting hoops together! :)

    To me there is nothing like be outdoors in nature, and for some one to own such a beautiful place to call home. That is truly wonderful, I am truly happy for you both.

    In the last few months in the evening, my father showed me a albino deer. So, every once in a while I go check in on her. She was just a little one months ago, but is getting bigger. Before this, I have never seen an all white deer before!

    Peace&Love
    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go on quitting smoking. So glad you added a quitmeter. Looks great!

    The key to my quit was participating at quitnet.com The support and friends I have over there is amazing. I still go there every day. Good stuff.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great you quit. They are doing classes at the lab to help people quit, but I dont think it's working since my sister is still smoking !
    I would love a walk down your trail and maybe see a deer.
    How cool, right out your backdoor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i added in when i quit smoking and here is what it says: 672 weeks and 6 days since i quit smoking and 47,109 cigarettes not smoked. WOW.
    That was 1995.
    Both candidates have nasty TV spots in Ohio and Obama is bashing McCain with an annoying typewriter click click spot. Do you see the same ad? I don't like that sound.
    I bet you were so cute with that basketball!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. i added in when i quit smoking and here is what it says: 672 weeks and 6 days since i quit smoking and 47,109 cigarettes not smoked. WOW.
    That was 1995.
    Both candidates have nasty TV spots in Ohio and Obama is bashing McCain with an annoying typewriter click click spot. Do you see the same ad? I don't like that sound.
    I bet you were so cute with that basketball!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hoosier = desire to play basketball. Everyone thinks they are Jimmy Chitwood, George McGinnis or Steve Alford! Ken maintains a path? Ooh, that sounds like a lot of work ... and it would include getting dirty! I will be in the kitchen with you making snacks for when he gets finished!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beth, your place sounds just wonderful! You just can't beat nature for putting everything in perspective.
    I love walking the trails around here and seeing the seasonal changes. Although right now the woods are off limits(I don't wear hunter's orange "ever")
    :) Leigh

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?