Saturday, November 28, 2009

Holy Crap, Batman!

Palin and Graham This morning I read an article about Sarah Palin making a stop while on her book-burning book-signing tour. She was in North Carolina and stopped by to have lunch with Billy Graham. Graham's son, Franklin, said that his father has "followed her career and likes her strong stand on faith...Daddy feels God was using her to wake America up." Hmm. It might surprise you to know that Billy Graham is a registered Democrat, so I wonder if he meant his comment in a way other than how it appears on the surface? Franklin also said that Palin "quizzed Graham what the Bible says about Israel, Iran and Iraq. "

The latter is what really gave me pause. I really don't give a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut what Sarah Palin believes when it comes to religion. As far as I'm concerned, she can roll around on the floor and speak in tongues to her stony little heart's desire. She can wrassle with rattlesnakes, if that’s what she wants to do. In fact, I think that’s actually a pretty good idea. C’mon, Sarah, you’ve got the faith!

Well, I can't say that I have a God-shaped void in my heart and soul. And I'm not seeking something beyond what I can see and touch or understand intellectually here on earth. I'm not like you, Sarah, and I know a lot of people who feel the same way I do. I also wonder at the faulty logic of seeing the beauty of nature and making the leap to knowing that someone had to create it. Science, be damned! Take your proven theories and get out of my face! Stoopid scientists, tryin' to make sense of the world by using sound principles, research, and investigative techniques instead of relying on superstition and faith to explain phenomena. Besides, "thunder is God bowling" is so much cuter than all that babble about lightning producing enough heat to cause a shock wave, don't you think?

Jesus Saves But like I said, I really don't care what she chooses to believe. That is her business. However, I do not want anyone in a position of leadership who chooses to base their foreign policy on what the Bible says about places like Israel, Iran, and Iraq.

That bears repeating. I do not want my legislators basing their foreign policy--or any legislative decisions, for that matter--on the Bible. I know this will piss some people off, but so be it. I do not believe that the Bible is the word of God, and it should not be treated as anything more than a religious text. It most certainly should not be a source of political decision-making.

I've had a similar discussion with my Dad. I love him to pieces, but he asked me once about school prayer. "Don't you think kids should be allowed to pray in school?" Well, of course, they should, if that's what they choose to do, on their own time. But there should be no school-led prayer. President Obama took a lot of flak for saying that we are not a Christian nation. I'm glad he said it, because we are not. We are a nation of many different religions, and yes indeed, even people with no religion, and our government has no right to legislate anything to do with that. Believe what you want to believe, but keep your religious views out of my government. Especially if you are anxious for Armageddon so that you can be taken up in the Rapture, or whatever that timeline is. Some of us aren't so keen on experiencing Armageddon, thank you very much.

Dirty whorish mouth On a related note, I recently received some feedback saying that I was bashing Christianity. I have to wonder...if someone feels that way, why they are still reading? Maybe getting a little thrill out of my dirty whorish mouth? How many times have I said this? If you don't like what I have to write, or if you just plain don't like me, no one is forcing you to read. And you know what? I don't visit your blog and leave comments about things that you write, no matter how insipid or mistaken I think they are. If I disagree with your viewpoint, I just move along and leave you to your opinion. You have the right to yours, and I have every bit of the same right to mine.

I have a long history with religion and problems that it has caused, in my own life and around the world, for thousands of years. I have not gone into these things here, because it's my business, and I share it with people on a personal level if and when I want to. But it's this kind of persecutional paranoia that is one of the reasons I have grown increasingly disenfranchised. I believe you have the right to believe what you want, and I also have the right to believe or not believe what I want. Your sanctimonious irritation at my personal opinion on my own blog only reinforces the feelings I've developed over the years. The hypocrisy I've seen, the belief that anyone who doesn't believe exactly as you do is going straight to hell, the sure and steadfast knowledge that those who love others of the same gender, no matter how wonderful, kind, and decent they might be, are going to burn in the fiery pit...it all leaves me cold, and I want nothing to do with it.

17 comments:

  1. I have tons to say on this subject, but I'd rather drink some beer and watch football at this moment.

    However, I'd like to say that there should be a fair trade. People can keep their religion out of my government and I'll keep my logic out of their church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Darren's sentiment.

    The true hypocrisy that most religious fanatics demonsrate is appalling.

    Practice what you believe people, not what you spout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first time since I first read your blog I wept for you.
    Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love God; I love America. I don't like Sarah Palin, and I wish people would keep religion out of politics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think about all the wars and all that were caused by, and for, religion.
    'Nuff said.
    And the less said about The Quitter, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Billy Graham story was very telling and, I think, the most damning thing I've heard about her. She is in my town at this very minute (for the holiday) and is signing books tomorrow at noon. People started lining up outside the book store at 2:30pm this afternoon. It is going to get down to 29 degrees overnight. The mind boggles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always tell people that as long as there are tests in schools there will be prayer in schools, just not group prayer led by the teacher or the principal over the intercom system. It seems that there are much bigger issues to focus on like homelessness, war, child abuse, famine etc., instead of assigning all the ills of the world to a so-called lack of prayer in schools. Just wanted to get that off my chest!

    I'm with you totally on this one (okay, I'm with you totally on pretty much everything). I definitely don't want foreign policy decisions being based on the Bible. I think that there is much to be learned about spirituality and our responsibility for the well being of others from the Bible, the Koran, the Torah, and the religious and philosophical writings of a variety of cultures. Regrettably, I haven't seen a great deal of evidence that the actions of organized religion have been consistent with promoting the notion of personality responsibility for contributing to the public good. I can't imagine foreign policy based on any religious tome, including the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I JUST ADORE your dirty, whorish mouth. Don't ever change!!!

    XOXOXOXOXO

    BTW - as usual, you are correct on all counts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You crack me up with your "Whorish dirty Mouth" LOL

    I can't stand Palin. Why is everyone giving her so much television air time with interviews? What a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW - I ate Thanksgiving at my Stepmom's sister's house - and she had Sarah Palin's book PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED in the living room. And my Dad was reading Worldnet Daily (AKA "Wingnut Daily") on this computer before I logged on.

    GET ME BACK TO NYC, STAT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with everyone else on your dirty whorish mouth, Beth. That's what we love about you the most.
    As for the stories of families above. I think the reason we have holidays and actually make the trek back home to visit is because going home for holidays reinforces our reasons for leaving home in the first place. For me, it removes any guilt I might have for leaving in the first place. And certainly makes me carefully plan my trips back.
    "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."-Charles During in Home for the Holidays (1995).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think no one has better p.r. than Jesus Christ. He is teflon for real. None of the acts done in or invoking his name seems to stain his image.

    His flack is better than Tiger's at keeping that image fresh and clean!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beth, if you have a dirty whorish mouth, then I love dirty whorish mouths. Don't feel the need to change for anyone.

    I think the truth hurts when it is heard by someone who doesn't want to hear it. I think that's why your religious comments on your blog shake some people up.

    Need help shaking? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Beth,
    wow!What an interesting post....
    I thought I learned something about where you may or may not be coming from...
    You mentioned people stuffing things like beliefs, thoughts, down people's throats and how you had been on the receiving in..well that is just downright Bad, wrong and abysmal to say the least...
    Christ himself was, as Moses was, against such cruel and fascist treatment of human beings.
    Sometimes I get frustrated too because the true Judeo-Christian tradition is what Ken was speaking of: love and generosity of spirit ..oh and yes it is would be nice if everyone could read their own prayers at schools (all religions).. I do not think that this is yet permitted in many schools
    natalie
    Lurkynat
    p.s. perhaps it is this narrow wall of narrow mindedness and indoctrination that we all go weary of...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my god I got teary eyes. This was a great post right from the core. And as for your dirty whorish mouth, I love it. I always feel so alone when I showed my great variety of curses. And you are so right the times we are living now are so reminiscent of Cuba before Castro. I have to say one thing Obama administration is not doing much to exercise his power over some of the shit that is being thrown at him. The democrats are failing big time. And I do not want to go that route but to let this stupid cow advance on that fashion without even being challenge is a false. I truly hate that woman the sad part about people that believe on her is that that bitch is a money hunger whore. What christian values can she prove when her own daughter got banged before married. How is that if she cares so much for people the minute that she gets a book deal she gets to quite office. She is all about the money and she is selling under religious bull shit. Sorry for my rant. But I have missed stopping by your site for so long I just want to share my joy when reading your post. Happy Holidays. Yeaaahh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd like to copy and paste parts of your last two paragraphs for my blog. I don't understand why there are people who feel compelled to read our blogs and comment when they are diametrically opposed to everything we believe.

    Excellent post! Those truly are the best Palin and Graham on the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Organized religion has certainly caused a lot of (most of) the major problems around the world. But being Christian and spiritual to me is not being a part of organized Christendom around the world, especially not those who are involved in politics. I do believe in a Creator, one who created (and not in 7 literal days, but in 7 "creative" days) those natural phenomena and wonders. Having said that, and knowing that you and I may disagree on that subject, I agree with you on politicians keeping their religious opinions out of their politics. They aren't going to do it though; you know they aren't. I have never liked Billy Graham either, and I had to laugh when I read about his meeting with Palin. If I ever wanted to say a prayer in school (and there were times I did, and my kids have told me the same thing) I simply said my prayer in my head. I do that anywhere, anytime I want to. No one can stop me, and no one can make me. I always thought that sanctioned prayer in school was one of the dumbest ideas ever.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?