Thursday, August 20, 2015

Gesundheit!

I’m not a big fan of appointments. I seem to have this deep-seated resentment at being told what to do and when to do it. I’m a rebel, Dottie.

I slacked off a little bit last year in my preventive healthcare, but I’m back on board this year. I kind of like to get it all done in one fell swoop, so I’ve had three appointments this week, I have to drop off a specimen tomorrow, and I have a follow-up appointment on Monday. Ugh! I’m not having much fun with all of this, but I feel good about being proactive when it comes to my health. (The title of this entry means “Health!” in German. It’s what I always say when someone sneezes.)

It’s easy to forget that not everyone has access to preventive care. I was heartened to read recently that the number of uninsured in the U.S. continues to drop. Thanks, Obama! Really, I mean it. Thank you for caring enough about all Americans to get the Affordable Care Act passed. It is making a difference in people’s lives, and it was a wonderful step forward for our country. We should all keep working to make it better and get even more people insured!

I get my teeth cleaned twice a year. I get screened for various cancers and conditions. I get booster shots and additional immunizations as I need them. I get my eyes checked every couple of years, and I get new glasses a little less frequently. Every American deserves to have such screenings, and deserves medical care, without facing bankruptcy.

I am grateful to have had good health insurance throughout my life, and I want that for my fellow citizens. Who wouldn’t?

2 comments:

  1. ... I am going to make my dental cleaning appointment tomorrow..! And finally getting Americans some kind of health care has made a bigger difference than I thought... though it is far from the European health care model, it is so much better than what we had before the ACA...

    ReplyDelete
  2. july was the month of invasive procedures around here....

    and yes, it is horrible that so many people are opposed to the populace having decent, affordable health care....not sure how anyone who claims to be 'pro life' can be so opposed to things that keep folks healthy.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?