Sunday, March 5, 2017

Get up, get on the good foot, and Get Out

We don’t go see movies in the theater that often, mainly because we have so much to watch at home. It’s kind of a special treat to go to the theater. We have a couple of movie franchises that we always see in the theater: Star Trek and Bond. I think Tarantino movies are now included in that rarified air.

We had heard enough good things about Jordan Peele’s movie “Get Out” that we decided we wanted to go see it now rather than waiting for it on DVD or streaming. It even won out over the John Wick sequel, which is saying a lot because we loved the first movie!

No regrets on our choice. I am still jazzed over the movie and we’ve been home for over an hour. It is like a drive-in movie, but better. It has all the elements of a drive-in movie—or a B-movie, if you will—but it’s smarter and more subtle. The creepiness is insidious. On the surface, everything seems fairly cool, if a little awkward, but you just know that something deeper is happening.

I’m generally very quiet in the theater, but this was a movie made for a raucous crowd, and there were cheers, jeers, and laughter at various points throughout the movie. I’ll cop to occasionally yelling, “Kill him!” It was a pretty good crowd for an early evening show in the Bend, so I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this movie is a bona fide low-budget hit.

For a low-budget movie, it absolutely delivers. It is legit scary, it is dark and creepy, but there are moments that are both cringe-worthy and hilarious. It struck me as “The Stepford Wives” but about racism rather than misogyny.

This movie is a blast and well worth a watch, whether you see it in the theater or later. It is not one to miss!

3 comments:

  1. Man, I could pick a few online people who I could readily imagine yelling~ "Kill him! ~without having to really dig in my brain for names, but I'd have not picked you(well, except if it was "her" & Palin had actually become VP...). Glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah, that really is not my usual MO. However, this was a horror movie and the people I wanted dead were some genuinely awful people. I was cheering for the good guy!

      Delete
  2. ...that cinches it... I have to take Renee and Mackenzie to see that movie..!

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?