Tuesday, April 7, 2020

My Sanctuary

Times are tough, frustration
Need relief, medication
Gone too far, intoxication
Fight the urge, of temptation
Sanctuary
It's much too close, contamination
Love and pain, and deviation

~~ "Sanctuary" by The J. Geils Band

The shape of Nutwood to come

Some of you may know that the name of this blog comes from what we named our place: Nutwood Junction. Long story short, it got its name because this used to be a little unincorporated town called Nutwood, and a railroad ran through here. We still own half of the railroad bed (the railroad has long been out of commission and the rails and ties torn up), and the property across the road was the site of a small railroad depot. 

Anyway, I have always called this place "my sanctuary." When I was working, I could hardly wait to get home, stripping off my scrubs as soon as I got in the door and changing into comfy clothes, and that was never more so than during nice weather. I'd head out to the deck immediately to read the mail, get some fresh air, and just take in some nature. We have eleven acres, including a few small ponds, wetlands, and woods, and a multitude of wildlife and birds. Even on my darkest days, it renews my soul. 

That is truer than ever at the moment. The weather will get colder this weekend (that's why I never plant anything until mid-May, at the earliest) but today felt like summer was just around the corner. It got up to the mid-70s and I was able to open several windows and enjoy some fresh air. I spent a little time out on the deck sweeping it off, getting the bird feeders filled, and repairing a favorite bamboo wood chime. (Please ignore the rubber band. That was the easiest way to fix it!)

We had a big thunderstorm last night (and will probably have another one this evening) and that has really started waking things up. The trees are budding and I'm seeing some sprouts of green out front and out in the woods. It's only a matter of time before we are in full foliage. 

The world is just all kinds of fucked up right now (and none more so than this current administration) but seeing our place come back to life made me feel joyful and maybe even a little hopeful. Long after we're gone, nature will renew itself (unless we manage to fuck that up, too, and the current administration says, "Hold my beer"), and will keep on keeping on. She'd probably be better off without us. 

I honestly don't know what will happen. I worry. I worry a lot, Bevvie! (Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference.) I worry about Ken, I worry about my Mom and my sisters, I worry about Shane and Matt, I worry about our friends, I worry about friends I've never met, I worry about our local artists and musicians and restaurants...and I worry about pretty much everyone in the goddamn world. 

But today, the windows are open, the frogs are peeping in the ponds, I'm barefoot, and you know what? 

I'll take it. 

 

5 comments:

  1. We had similarly lovely weather here in Urbana today, and Dan fired up the grill to make a couple of burgers. Kids were out all day long shrieking from their back yards and dogs were barking, and even though I didn't come face to face with any person or creature, it was such a comfort to confirm they are still keeping on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful! It definitely helps lift some of the oppression, you know? I'm excited for our first barbecue...soon, I hope!

      Delete
  2. when we heard the tree frogs peeping in the woods sunday it did something wonderful for me. nature will abide, just like the dude.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly what I felt when I wrote this. The peeping frogs always make me happy and just the return of nature felt like a renewal.

      Delete
  3. I was transported by your description of your sanctuary in Nutwood. Was imagining all the smells and the various shades of green. In spite of the virus Mother Nature is in control, and that is the one constant we can hold onto at the moment. Spring could not arrive at a better time. I note the sounds of the birds chirping and singing their songs to one another, the butterflies dancing in the air and attaching to a beautiful bloom. Yes, it’s a sign of hope that in spite of everything the sun, earth, moon, and stars are still in control, and that is of great comfort. Yeah, I’ll take it as it’s a beautiful thing to cling to and find respite in. Thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?