Sunday, August 2, 2009

Family Tour Weekend

After a visit with my folks yesterday, today brought a visit to my sister to deliver the bunk beds she bought from us. Her grandkids stay with her sometimes, and that will be perfect for Jared and Maddie. I asked who was going to get the top bunk, and she said, "I think I'll probably have to make out a schedule so that they both get their share of time in the top bunk!" So true! Ken got everything unloaded and set up the beds while Susie and I visited, and we helped when we were needed. She was very pleased with the results, and that made me happy! My nephew Steve is out of the Marines, and he and his wife and my great-nephew Hunter are staying with my sister until Steve can get a job and get enrolled in college. Unfortunately, they were at church when we were there, so I didn't get to see them, but Susie is thinking of having a family get-together soon.

Biltmore house After that, it was over to see Ken's Mom and stepdad, and we had a nice visit with them. They're doing well, and she is really enjoying the brand new library branch that opened close by, and even used the automatic checkout the other day! She was quite proud of herself, and I was proud of her, too.

Oh, and before I forget, when we were talking to my folks yesterday and discussing Biltmore Estate, they told me a story I'd never heard before. When they were there one time (when us girls weren't along), Mom got stung by a bee. As they were attending to her, some guy drove up in a VW Bug and was helping. Turned out it was the grandson of George Vanderbilt! He was running the Estate at the time, but has since turned it over to his son, who is the head honcho now. Kind of cool that Mom and Dad got to meet the grandson, and I think it's very cool that the family still runs it and has such a hand in the day-to-day operations.

Tonight is T-bones, grilled potatoes and Vidalias, and an iceberg wedge with blue cheese dressing. Top it off with a nice Cabernet, and it's all systems go at Nutwood! Hope you all had a lovely weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Beth,

    That is really awesome that your mom and dad got to meet a Vanderbilt, and more amazing how hands on they still are with the estate.

    Your dinner sounds awesome!

    be well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know that the Vanderbilt family still has a part in the operation of their beautiful mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm just tickled that you had a good weekend seeing the family.....T bone steaks, huh? I bet those were delicious too. Did i see on FB that you watched "The Haunting in Connecticut"? If so, did you like it?
    now how cool would it be for a famous family member to actually show up at their home that is now a tourist attraction?
    Imagine if Elvis began handing out flyers at the front door in 2009 to those paying to get in to see his home..lol. I remember as a kid seeing some tabloid story that he was seen in the screen door at a small building behind Graceland and after reading that, for years i believed he was still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you were going to post a picture of my humble abode, but the Biltmore will do, I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we had almost the same dinner in honor of mr. mischief's special day this weekened.....YUM!!


    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool that your Mom & Dad got to meet him! Steaks, Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had pork ribs, scalloped potato's Fresh tomato and cucumber salad, with hidden valley dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I said to Ken, you guys really eat well. I had cereal for dinner...ugh. Wow, the story about your mom and the grandson is cool. It is very neat they've kept it in the family.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?