Monday, October 5, 2009

A loss in the family

Peanut Yesterday Ken and I were very sad to learn from Cousin Shane that one of his sweet kitties, Peanut, had passed away in the morning. She's been pretty sick for a while; she used to be this compact chunk o' cat, but was diagnosed with diabetes and dropped a whole bunch of weight. She was a tiny little thing, just as sweet as could be, and although she was always shy with me at first, she'd always let me pet her and brush her when I took care of the cats when Shane was out of town. She really was a sweetheart of a cat, and I hope you'll all send positive thoughts Shane's way as he deals with this. I think almost all of us know how tough it is to say goodbye to a pet--they really do become part of the family. As you can imagine, Sheeba got plenty of hugs and squeezes yesterday.

Rest in peace, Peanut, and I wish you a safe journey.

~~~~~

After I took out the recycling today, I thought I'd toddle on out to the garden and see if there wasn't a stray tomato or two still hanging on. Great googly-moogly! I couldn't believe how much stuff was still out there. Even the beans are still producing. There were plenty of tomatoes (although some of them are green and had dropped off the plants...I hope they'll mature inside) and peppers, and one whopper of a Veggies 2009zucchini. I don't even remember seeing one last time I was out there, and here was this monster! I even measured it...it's 16 x4 inches (about 40 x 10 centimeters). It probably is too big to stir fry it, but it will be great for stuffed zucchini, and that's what I'm making tonight. (You scoop out the innards and parboil the shell, then stuff it with a mixture of hamburger, cheese, onion, and a couple of other things, then bake it. Pretty tasty.) I was honestly surprised to see so many things out there still. It gives me great hope for next summer's garden, although I'm going to have to plant my tomatoes in containers on the deck. There is a fungus in our soil that causes Verticillium Wilt, and you just can't get rid of it. Even varieties bred for resistance to it eventually succumb, and the plants start to wither and die from the ground up. I'm glad I was able to get as many tomatoes as I did this year.

That's okay--planting my tomatoes in containers on the deck will leave more room in the garden for experimental things like Brussels sprouts and...EGGPLANT! I swear to God, man, I'm planting a couple of eggplants next year. I've always wanted to try them, and maybe I can even find a way to fix them that Ken will like. What do you think, Kenny-Pig? :)

~~~~~

I was amazed today to see a hummingbird at the feeder. Time to get a move on, little girl...it's getting chilly out there! It's a myth that you should take down your feeder when fall comes, or else the hummies will stick around. They're on their own timetable, and they leave when they're ready. Leaving your feeder up can help migrating hummies coming from farther north. They can make a pit stop at your place and refuel before they hit the air again. I just could not believe one is still hanging around here. She was a chubby little thing, too!

~~~~~

Brat Looks like I'm not the only one disgusted by the gloating behavior we've witnessed in the past few days concerning Chicago's Olympics bid. Paul Krugman of the New York Times wrote a fantastic op-ed piece about the irrationality of such behavior. My favorite line was "For one thing, we learned that the modern conservative movement, which dominates the modern Republican Party, has the emotional maturity of a bratty 13-year-old." Couldn't have said it any better, Mr. Krugman. My hope is that people will take a good, hard look at what we're seeing here and come to understand the lunacy of these people who claim to love their country (and, in the Imbecile Beck's case, show it by weeping like a little girl) but in the next breath express great satisfaction and glee over its loss of the international games. This is Bizarro World behavior, in which love is expressed by scorn, devotion by disdain, and loyalty by abandonment. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to return to our regularly scheduled world, one that doesn't make me feel like Alice down the rabbit hole.

18 comments:

  1. I saw a couple of hummingbirds yesterday, but none today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, not so sure Kenny-Pig wants to try that experiment. Maybe 1000 parts beef and cheese and 1 part eggplant :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professional wrestling on TV is entertainment in the form of a wrestling match. Beck is entertainment in the form of an ignoramus.

    Next time you go out in your garden I suggest you take a chair and a whip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences to Shane on his loss. The death of a pet is never easy, and I dread it happening to me down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh poor Shane. It is sooooo hard losing a pet. My dear sweet Pumpkin is 14 and really slowing down and showing her age... I am sending prayers and hugs on the loss of Peanut.

    Wow! I don't think I have ever seen a zucchini that big! What a haul you got this late in the season! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Shane, I'm so sorry for your loss of Peanut!!

    Beth, your stuffed zucchini sounds so much better than my late uncle's, he used to make it with crabmeat.... I did NOT like it!! Yours sounds like the ingredients to my stuffed bell peppers.... Hmmm!! Your stuffed zucchini must be GOOD!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about Peanut, my thoughts are with Shane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sympathies to Cousin Shane on his loss; it's so hard to loss a loved one.

    Okay my friend, green tomatoes means that you make fried green tomatoes, so whip up a batter seasoned with salt, black pepper, garlic, and a little basil,dip those maters, and fry them up in a little peanut oil.

    My tried and true dish for those who profess not to like eggplant is eggplant parmesan. Ken will never even know that he's eating eggplant!

    Ya know that I also love the Krugman article. Your final sentence is a killer. It should go into the blogger hall of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth:

    Pass my love to Shane for his loss and some for you as well!

    The garden is happy place to be and the harvest is so sweet. I receive the last of the tomatoes and such as well. You will find the Eggplant to be very easy to manage next year, we have similar weather. :)

    I've been following the news in spurts lately. Its the same old Texas two step that the Media dances. The strange thing it was more convenient for the Bush Administration. I think that people will see the truth eventually, but until then just keep up your passions.

    I know you love the Olympics and this country. You love life to ring true, we knew with Obama, there would be change. Just not with the republicans and Fox News.

    You continue on with your efforts in life and pass the truth onto the world, like the Torch!

    Peace&Love
    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry cousin Shane. :( She was a gorgeous girl.
    I'm hearing great things about the tomato planter that you hang upside down. My grandma is using one of those next year. When they first came out I thought what a crock of crap but everyone seems to swear by them that has used them.
    Hope the chubby girl makes it south soon! Silly bird. We have flowers that bloom late into fall that were planted specifically for hummingbirds that might still hang around. Everything that was planted on our property was done for the birds, whether it's for it's flowers, berries or shelter. Ok, so we have a handful of perrinials that are mainly for the butterflies but I think the hummies dabble in them occasionally.
    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tell cousin Shane my sympathies, I am coming to a year of loosing my beloved Luna and it is hard. So I am touched by the news.

    On the other hand, I seldom get to see vegetables like yours. They look so healthy and proper. Unlike the stuff on my supermarket, I am scare know, for all that I know I am probably eating plastic and have not notice the difference.

    And you are right, the sad part about the article on the new york times is that repugs do not read. Yet they want to lead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel so bad for Cousin Shane. Losing a kitty is so painful.

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please let Shane know that we are thinking of him and the loss of such a gorgeous cat. It is so hard when we lose a pet we love.
    You sure have had a great lot of vegs etc from your garden this summer. I picked the last of my tomatoes today as well, they have been grown in large pots. The wethaer today has been great still summer temps. in fact just heard the weatherman say it was warmest October day for at least 4 years. it was 20deg. and that was in the shade as no sunshine got to peep through.
    Love for now Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  14. My condolences to Shane. What a pretty kitty! Pretty garden produce, too. You're lucky to have so much yield this late in the growing season. You must be doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of Shane and will give my 3 kitties extra loving tonight.
    Look at you and your green thumb. I am impressed! It almost inspires me to try a garden next year.
    Please remind me in March that I said that K

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nicely said, Beth! I may be adopting a new cat when I get back from Norfolk later on this month. I saw a beautiful male Siamese Cat named Aiden who needs a home.

    My thoughts have been with Shane all week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry to hear of Peanut's passing. Lossing a pet to death is the worst thing ever.
    my mom once had "pet" hummingbirds and spent a lot of time watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your page through Lelocolon and then your hubby. Sorry about Peanuts, too. She looks a lot like my son's cat, Buddy. We all adore that cat, though he can take us or leave us.

    If you find another killer zucchini, I have a great recipe for Zucchini bread made with crushed pineapple. Let me know if you want it.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?