Thursday, September 5, 2013

Welcome, Davenport!

New couchThe new furniture was scheduled to be delivered between 8 and 11 am today, so I made sure I was up at 7:30, so I had a few minutes to wake up and clear the cobwebs—the cobwebs of my mind, that is. I wasn’t about to do a cobweb run for a couple of furniture delivery guys that wouldn’t care one way or the other! I had set the alarm just in case, but I didn’t have a great night of sleep, so I was up before the alarm went off.

I didn’t have to wait super long. They got here about 9 am, and everything was unloaded, unpackaged, and in place by 9:30. I got things situated where I wanted them, moved the tables back into place, and let Sheeba out of the back bedroom so he could check it out. He wasn’t quite sure what to make of the new stuff at first, but he got bored quickly and headed back to the bedroom for a nap. As did I. I went back to bed and slept for a couple of hours! I wasn’t sure I’d be able to sleep, but I had no problem. I’m glad I did, because I felt much more energetic when I got up, and got my workout done, as well as a few things around the house.

I’m very pleased with my experience with Elder-Beerman (thanks to my brother-in-law, Tom!) and with their delivery service. (Their parent company is Bon Ton, which includes Carson’s.) I was still shutting the doors after the delivery guys left when I get a phone call with an automated survey asking about my delivery experience. High marks all around!

Sheeba and couchI love the furniture. It sits a bit taller, so it looks a little bigger, but it’s not as long, so our walkways are bigger. The width is a little bit more, so it sits further into the living room, but that’s okay. It’s nice and firm, not mushy, and I’ll sit up higher for watching TV and movies. I love the color, and the material seems sturdy. We bought the extra guarantee on it, so if we run into problems down the road, we can get it replaced easily. It has a little more mid-century modern feel to it, and I’m looking forward to choosing new curtains soon.

So who wants to come over and hang out and watch a movie?

One last thing on couches. We donated the old couch and loveseat to Drew and the State Theater to use as he wanted. They have some couches and chairs in the theater, just some cozy spots to hang out. We said that if he couldn’t use them, feel free to donate them to a local charity, or whatever. Today he posted this picture of Ol’ Green hanging out on the sidewalk in front of the State, and wrote that people were welcome to come by and hang out and enjoy the beautiful day. I don’t know if he’ll end up keeping it or not—it’s still in fairly good shape structurally—but it made me grin to see my old couch sitting out in front of a great theater in fabulous downtown South Bend! It started its life as a city couch, when I lived in Indianapolis. Then it moved with me and became a country couch, and now it moved on up and is back to being a city couch again. Thanks for many years of companionship, Ol’ Green. I hope you’ll meet lots of new friends in your new digs!

City couch

I couldn’t help but think of this!


4 comments:

  1. I would love to sit on your davenport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name 'davenport'... reminds me of Lindsay and Lacey..! The color is nice and it gives off a 'home' vibe..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. be careful not to knock your drink off the credenza as you fall to the davenport when you feel peaked.....make sure you have someone bring the smelling salts! did winding the victrola too hard make you dizzy????


    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?