Thursday, August 18, 2016

That’s why I’ll do it again

I hear you’re lonely, don’t monkey with my business
You pay the profits to justify the reasons
I heard your promise but I don’t believe it
That’s why I’ll do it again

~~ “Notorious” by Duran Duran

I find it...interesting...when people decide what should and shouldn’t be posted on social media. Why are so many people posting about this? Why aren’t people posting about that? I don’t want to read this and I don’t like that and people should listen to me and do what I want!

Well, who made you hall monitor?

Here’s the deal. We all see things we don’t like on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. That doesn’t mean you get to decide what others should or should not post! I’ve been writing this blog for ten years (although admittedly sporadically lately) and I can remember people sending me suggestions in the past on things to write about. “You should write about this.” Really? If you want to read something about that topic, how about you start your own blog and write it yourself instead of playing editor with me? I don’t take requests!

A lot of people don’t care about politics. I get it. (Although why the hell not, I DON’T get.) A lot of people just don’t want the constant barrage of stories about it. I get that, too. Sometimes I have to step away for a bit. I try to balance my fascination with politics with my other passions, like music and books. I’m not all Woodward and Bernstein up in here, okay?

But you know what’s really cool about electronic things like TVs and computers? They have an Off button! Isn’t that amazing? You don’t have to watch and you don’t have to read. You know what’s cool about social media sites? You have the power to control what you read. Here are some options.

If someone consistently posts things you don’t want to read on Facebook, you can unfollow them. None of their posts will show up on your feed, but you can still go to their page and see their posts if you want to. I have even suggested this to my friends on Facebook if they get tired of my political posts. I won’t be offended. I know that not everyone is as into it as I am.

If someone posts things that you find deeply offensive, just unfriend them on Facebook or stop following them on Twitter, or whatever options other sites offer. If you honestly don’t like the person and what they post, why are you following them, anyway? I don’t care if it’s a coworker or a family member. Life is too short to put up with assholes, no matter the work or family relationship.

Or hey, here’s an idea. If you don’t like a post and it’s something you don’t want to see...maybe you could just scroll on by and understand that everyone has the right to post what they want! (As long as it’s not hate speech.) What a concept, right? Yes, you can just move along, nothing to see here, and no harm is done.

Here is what you don’t get to do: You don’t get to decide what others should or should not post, and you don’t get to decide what are or are not appropriate topics. Social media means different things to different people. My friends and I discuss all kinds of things, and yes, we have some lively discussions about politics. We are exchanging ideas and opinions and we are contributing to the dialogue. I happen to feel passionate about what is happening in our country and about what road we are taking. I feel fortunate to have this blog and social media where I can voice my opinion. Many in this world do not have such freedoms.

I was very moved by the lecture we attended last week about the suffragist movement. Women didn’t get the vote by staying silent. I have no intention of staying silent about this election or future elections.

I don’t take umbrage with people who express frustration with all the political posts. That’s fine, because you have the right to say that! I support your right to feel that way and to post about it!

But don’t chide me for my posts. I’m not going to stop.

That’s why I’ll do it again.

1 comment:

  1. I do posts of a more personal nature, & I do worry about being a downer too often. I don't want people to feel obliged to read because we've had some past blog friendship, or worse, feel the need to cheer me up. It is great when someone truly understands, but it is also more likely to me that they don't.

    With politics, I almost prefer people who don't agree with me, as far as my reading blogs goes.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?