Sunday, April 26, 2009

If I were a nail-biter…

...I'd be biting them.

After Ken's research yesterday, we spent 4-5 hours this afternoon driving around looking for places for Ken's Mom and stepdad (who are planning on moving up here at the end of May). The upside is that we got to see areas of South Bend that neither of us had seen before. The west side is a historic area that grew and prospered in the Studebaker era, but after Studebaker closed in the early 60's, it declined and in some parts, is not a great area. However, there are still some beautiful homes and tree-lined streets, and it was really an interesting drive. It also ended up being a lovely afternoon, and we were able to have the top down on the Mustang--always a good thing!

However, for what Ken's Mom wants in a place, we're finding that there are very limited options. Out of ten or so places (weeded out during his online research yesterday), we found three that were possibilities, but we really haven't found anything exactly like what they want. He is talking to his Mom as I type, and discussing priorities. Is one bathroom okay, or do they absolutely need two? Is it okay if it doesn't have a garage? If it has a garage, does it have to be attached? Would an apartment be a possibility? From the look on Ken's face, I'm not sure the conversation is going well. There was just a mention of them staying there, from what I can garner from hearing one side of the conversation.

The reality is that there are limited rental options here, if you don't want to be in an apartment. I'm not sure what else we can do. I feel quite nervous about this at the moment. In fact, looking at Ken’s face again…I’m a downright nervous wreck.

13 comments:

  1. With the economy the way it is, everyone is looking to make every red cent they can out of renting. For many it's their fallback to jobs that are declining. All you can do is try hon, you can't magically produce something that isn't there.

    Hopefully Ken's parents will be willing to meet somewhere in the middle ground. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope things work out for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like quite a challenge. I'm hoping you are able to find the perfect match for them.

    XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Requests are always subject to interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth,
    I don't blame you for calling this a "nail-biter." Moving is always a stressful experience but if you're not finding (m)any options that meet your requirements, it's even worse.
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you two can find them something soon. May is as good as here. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. i truly hope that Ken is able to find something that is close enough to what his mom and stepdad must have that they can move there and be comfortable and happy. Moving is so stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you considered hiring a real estate agent? I know this might sound silly, but often times agents have insights and access to apartments and houses for rent that aren't listed in places where we, the average joe, can find them.

    Will it be a more pricey search? Sure, but it may be a helluva lot less of a hassle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you never know, maybe something perfect will turn up out of the blue. It would be so hard to try and find the "perfect" place if not impossible. I hope it works out for them - it's good your not a nail biter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you know it's getting tense when the nails you are biting are your toenails!....I'm sure you don't want to go there!...best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been there done that, except it was just my mother, after my dad had passed away. But circumstances were the same. My mom was probably older than your folks (she was about 70 when she decided she wanted to live closer to us) and she ended up in a senior retirement place that she liked very much. But I still remember how stressful the whole operation was. It's your parents, and you want everything to be just right for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone who worked for me almost bought a house on my street and I was frantic. I don't want to "hop over for coffee & gossip" which is the way she was. I am more a shade drawn, reading a great book girl. But there was another issue, she kept asking about neighbors, wanting advice about local things(she lived far from work at the time).....yikes. I'm not to be held accountable for your home location/situation.

    So with that in mind, unless they have to move now, perhaps if you can't meet their qualifications with a home, they should wait. If they have to move now, maybe they could make up a priority list, then come visit the places & make their decision. You want to help, but you don't want a situation where they are very unhappy and it causes stress for your relationship once they are living near you. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very stressful thing. All I can do is wish you the best in your search.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?