Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A musical interlude

Blondie It appears that I shot my wad yesterday with the long entry about vaccine production, and I'm a little tapped out today. I hope you'll join me in watching one of my favorite Blondie songs, "(I'm Always Touched By Your Presence) Dear," from their album "Plastic Letters." I think it's a beautiful song, with wonderful lyrics. The line "levitating lovers in the secret stratosphere" is one that I've always loved.

Blondie is considered a punk/New Wave band, and I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that such bands were all like the Sex Pistols, loud, crude, and sort of insane. While I definitely enjoy such bands, many of the artists from that era and genre had true talent and musical skill. Deborah Harry could tear it up as well as the rest of them, but this song is…well, I think it’s lovely.

Note Clem Burke's mad skillz as drummer...Cousin Shane and I have always thought he was under-appreciated. Enjoy!

(I'm Always Touched By Your Presence) Dear

Was it destiny?
I don't know yet.
Was it just by chance?
Could this be Kismet?

Something in my consciousness told me you'd appear,
now I'm always touched by your presence, dear.

When we play at cards you use an extra sense.
(It's really not cheating)
You can read my hand, I've got no defense.
When you sent your messages whispered loud and clear,
I am always touched by your presence, dear.

Floating pass the evidence of possibilities.
We could navigate together, psychic frequencies.
Coming into contact with outer entities.
We could entertain each one with our theosophies.

Stay awake at night and count your R.E.M.'s
when you're talking with your super friends.
Levitating lovers in the secret stratosphere.
I am still in touch with your presence, dear.
I am still in touch with your presence, dear.
I am still in touch with your presence, dear, dear, dear, dear, dear.

12 comments:

  1. Hey, any band that rhymes frequencies and theosophies is my kind of band! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard that song before and it is pretty! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the pleasure of passing Deborah Harry on 23rd Street in Manhattan years ago. She was stunning in person (but short).

    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this song. Its lyrics are really nice. Thanks for sharing its lyrics here. I enjoyed this musical post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say again that I love love love you! I <3 this song and most Blondie songs. Have you heard that Halestorm song I get off? It's a favorite for me right now. There aren't many decent up and coming bands that have a chick as the lead singer but I think this one has potential.
    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, i STILL get chills when i hear that song! an overlooked blondie classic! debbie harry is still so cool and so sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been on my 'mental playlist' for a bit recently. It is weird how songs that imprint on you can come back up when the moment is appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shot my wad? (chuckling) You never cease to bring a smile to my face. Of course the Blondie moment is cool too! (winks) Indigo

    ravensquietscreams@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everybody needs a rest Beth. You deserve one. It was nice to see young Deborah looking as stunning as she is now. She looks only slightly different to me, but her energy is still ramped way up. Thanks for the treat Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! We love Blondie!
    (You are such a prolific blogger that I'm going to have to catch up a few at a time each day until I feel like I've caught up enough.)

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?