Saturday, January 9, 2010

Come out and play

Peyton I'm fully aware that my recent posts have been a little on the serious side. I read a lot of political content online (plenty of other stuff, too), and there are times that I get so disgusted, angry, and appalled at things that are going on that I just want to scream. Once my righteous outrage switch gets flipped, it's hard to turn it off. I kind of enjoy feeling the passion of righteous outrage—keeps the blood flowing, right?—but it's hard to maintain that level constantly. It can make me very, very angry (said in my best Marvin the Martian voice...where's my earth-shattering kaboom?), and sometimes you just have to chill.

One of the ways I chill is by watching sports, and you all know I love my football. That's right, nothing says relaxation like a bunch of guys beating the holy hell out of each other on the football field! So I'm excited that the playoffs are underway this weekend. I won't be watching tonight's game, because I'll be at a Notre Dame basketball game (although I'll probably catch the end of the game), but my Colts aren't playing this weekend anyway. They've got a bye this first round (wildcard games), but will play one of the four teams that are playing this weekend. Actually, that's not true...even if the Patriots win their game, the Colts won't play them next weekend. Because they clinched the regular season division, they not only get home field advantage throughout the playoffs, they get the advantage of playing the lowest-seeded wildcard winner, and the Patriots are the highest-seeded wildcard. So they'll play either the Jets, Bengals, or Ravens.

Still with me?

Anyway, I was thrilled today to see that Peyton Manning got his fourth NFL MVP award! That's a record, baby!

Peyton Manning became the first player to win The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player honor four times. The Indianapolis Colts' sensational quarterback romped to the award Saturday in balloting by 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league.

He received 39½ votes to 7½ for Drew Brees of New Orleans. Only four players -- all quarterbacks -- earned votes. The other two were Philip Rivers of San Diego (2) and Brett Favre of Minnesota (1).

Manning also won in 2003, 2004 and 2008, breaking a tie with Favre at three MVPs.

I'd like to congratulate Peyton on the win. He's a fantastic player, a humanitarian (he funded the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent's in Indianapolis, was active in helping his home state of Louisiana after Katrina, and participates in many other programs and charities), and by all accounts, a genuinely nice guy. I love you, man, and bring home another ring for our state! Go Colts!

Oh, and in reference to the others who received votes, I'd like to say...

SUCK IT, FAVRE!

Yeah, I went there! (I think I just pissed off Jamie. heehee)

When I was thinking about how sometimes you need to chill, and play, I thought of the Offspring song (the title of this entry). I had fun playing that on Rock Band the other night, but it's not my favorite Offspring song...that goes to "Bad Habit," a song about road rage. The spoken bit about two thirds of the way into the song? Boy howdy, if I had a nickel for every time I yelled that when stuck behind an idiot driver....

5 comments:

  1. Well deserved for Peyton, but I think all he wants this year is the Superbowl Win :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Peyton, he is most deserving. I find when I start getting too fired up about things I stay away from it for awhile...until the BP comes back down. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett Farve . Over. Him. Yuck! Can you say prima donna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is cool that sometimes you get political. A lot of people don't think about politics because they feel removed from the process. Other are marginalized and other still think that they aren't smart enough to be more involved in what happens.

    Yet when you get down to it, they are. By not thinking for themselves, they are saying 'yes' to the conditions that either oppress or victimizes them. If all people did was find out who represented a position that directly impacts them and let it guide their decision, I feel it would be better than the frenzied tabloid politics we have now.

    Congrats to Peyton. The entire Manning family are aces in my book!

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?