Sunday, May 19, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek Into DarknessLast evening, after a bite and beverages, we headed over to see the new Star Trek movie. We are both big Trek fans, and always go to see these movies in the theaters. For the 2009 movie, we even went up to Detroit to see that one in an IMAX theater with our friend Mark! I’ve been a fan since junior high, when I’d watch the reruns of the original series when I got home from school. As I was telling my friend Lisa, some of us in school even went so far as to give ourselves Starfleet rankings. Haha! I was First Officer, just like Spock. (Yes, the geek is strong in this one, if I can be permitted another movie reference!)

I loved TOS’s message of hope, peace, and inclusion. I would say that it had a large part in forming the way I look at the world. Better living through science, right?

I won’t go into an exhaustive review of the movie here, because I hate seeing or hearing spoilers for movie franchises that I especially love (Trek and Bond), and some of the best things in this movie are callbacks to the original series and fun surprises. All I’ll say is that I loved this movie so much. It is dark, action-packed, full of TOS references, and a total freakin’ BLAST. At one point, I was sitting there with tears rolling down my face, and I’m getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.

I’ve loved these characters for going on four decades now, and I love J.J. Abrams’ reboot of the franchise, with the development of the young officers and the bonds that they form. The bond between Kirk and Spock is especially wonderful to see forming. “I have been and always shall be your friend.” I cannot watch that scene from “The Wrath of Khan” without just totally losing it. Okay, let me get a grip.

[deep breath]

Ahh, better. I loved this movie. I’m even thinking of going again to see it one afternoon while Ken is at work, if we have a rainy afternoon this week. Of my friends who have seen it, I haven’t heard anything bad about it, and everyone seems to think it’s a ton o’ fun. Probably the first great movie of the summer. All of the actors doing the young characters are just spot on, as in the 2009 movie, and made me love them even more...if that is possible. Fantastic movie. Seriously. Word-of-mouth buzz is “Go see this movie!”

Today consisted of some work outside, including getting some flowers planted in the front flower boxes, and Ken getting some new little pine trees and planting those between the house and the road. Tonight it’s another movie (a DVD this time: “Flight”), T-bones, salad, zucchini, and a nice 2005 Cab. To quote the original Star Trek again, “May you find your way as pleasant.” (Anyone remember which episode that was from?)

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see it -- hopefully this weekend. I loved the 2009 movie. I think the characters playing Kirk and Bones got the facial expressions, mannerisms, and speech patterns down perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...see, I would have LOVED to have seen this movie with you... I know enough about the franchise to facilitate your enthusiasm, and you would have helped bridge the various gaps of understanding for me..!

    ...the quote from "...Wrath" certainly tugs at the heart... and the chemistry between the two actors certainly added to its emotional... imagine, making the ultimate sacrifice and then having your worth validated in such a fashion... that is truly the stuff of legends..!

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?