Wednesday, June 26, 2013

One Step Beyond

Rainbow cakeThis won’t be a lengthy post. I just want to say how pleased I am that the Supreme Court’s rulings today on marriage equality were as good as they were.

Certainly not the absolute best outcome; that would have been SCOTUS saying that any state’s ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional. However, I didn’t really expect that. This was a pretty darn good outcome, though, and I truly believe that the tide has turned in public opinion, and that same-sex marriage will no longer be a political issue with any voters except for a small group. They seem to be dwindling in numbers and influence, don’t they?

I’ve said before that I believe we’ll see marriage equality for all in my lifetime. I think it’s going to happen much sooner than that, possibly even within five years. Any states with same-sex marriage bans (I’m looking at YOU, Indiana! Shame on you!) will face challenges, and as long as we keep conservatives from gaining a seat on the Court, we should be in good shape. This is why it is very important that we elect another Democrat to the Presidency in 2016 (I’m looking at YOU, Hillary Clinton!). The next President will probably appoint a Justice, and we’ve got to keep Thomas (ugh), Alito (double ugh) and Scalia (super triple viper ugh) from gaining anymore ground or influence. This matters, people. This matters a lot.

Again, no big long entry about this. I’ll just say that I was cheering this morning along with my LGBT friends and family. I stand with them and support them 100% on this. It was a good day for them, and for those of us to love and value them as much as any other human being.

This wasn’t a full step towards equality, but it is certainly one step beyond what we had before. Turn it up!

3 comments:

  1. it was good to be alive today

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right about marriage equality Beth. The voters who will determine what is justice are learning to let the myths that their parents lived by are in reality just that, myths.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?