Sunday, October 26, 2008

I had a dream

It occurs to me that I may be dwelling on politics too much, because last night I had a lengthy dream...or maybe it was several short dreams...about politics.

I was attending a function and seated at the head table with Michelle Obama. She gave me a cookie, which was very kind of her, and it was also delicious. Barack Obama arrived, and as he shook my hand, he said, "I remember you! Last time I saw you, you were wearing those really cute sandals. I like the ones you're wearing tonight!"

Brian Williams seemed to be the emcee, and while Brian was speaking, I watched Sarah Palin at the next table as she shoved her purse under her chair. I whispered to the person sitting next to me, "I need to ask Brian what he thinks of that woman." This must have been some kind of fashion show as well, because then I was in front of the crowd and Brian was saying, "Beth is modeling a lovely blue gown...come on out, Beth." The gown WAS lovely, too, a strapless number with a full skirt, an intense shade of sapphire blue, something I would definitely wear. As I walked out and modeled my dress, I gave the crowd a big Sarah Palin wink.

So maybe I'm a little too involved in all this.

That being said, let's get to the latest! You didn't think you were getting off that easy, did you? Nine days to go...then I'll give it a rest. As I mentioned recently, feel free to take a break from me for a while if you don't enjoy reading my opinions. I won't be offended, I promise, and I hope you'll come back and visit after it's over. I've given you fair warning...the gloves are off. And I feel free! So free!

The reports started on CNN yesterday about Sarah Palin "going rogue." Milwaukee Dan #2 (of three...I asked Milwaukee Dan #1 [Guido] what was up with the name Daniel and Milwaukee) sent me an article about Palin the rogue, that also included commentary from certain McCain aides (anonymous, of course) who said that she is a "diva." Uh oh...dissension in the ranks. Not a good sign. There is speculation that Palin is protecting her own interests for her future political career. I don't know about that (I doubt if she has much of a national career ahead of her), but this is some odd behavior. I did appreciate the "going rogue" phrase, because it makes me think of what happens in science fiction stories with friendly robots. A corroded relay switch, a faulty circuit, or a little too much dampness in the air, and next thing you know, you've got yourself a rogue robot. Or think of computers like HAL in "2001: A Space Odyssey." You have to be really careful with that artificial intelligence stuff, a basic concept in science fiction, and something that Palin's handlers seemed to ignore. Zing!

Our friend Dirk (He and I definitely do not have the same views on many things, but he is always such a good sport about it!) left a comment on my entry about the fruit fly research, stating that it was about earmarks, and that it was not targeted towards autism research. That may very well be, but there's a broader picture to me, that I went into on a subsequent post. It's the fact that she ridiculed this research automatically because it involved "fruit flies in Paris, France." I'll say it again: that is a dangerous lack of understanding of how something that superficially seems irrelevant can sometimes end up being vitally important, and have an impact beyond the original research project. As Ken wrote about a while back, a means of communication developed by nuclear engineers in order to share information more easily became the World Wide Web. There is always a bigger picture...ALWAYS. Let me use a phrase that everyone loves to hate: we have to think outside the box. [drawing imaginary box in the air] Palin has shown that she is incapable of seeing the bigger picture, or of understanding how something outside her immediate frame of reference can possibly be important to anyone. I stand by my opinions on this.

And finally, she has already begun winning friends and influencing people around the globe. In today's news:

Venezuela's Chavez: Palin a pitiful 'beauty queen'

By RACHEL JONES

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez called vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin a "poor thing" who didn't know what she was saying when she called him a dictator.

Friday's verbal attack was the latest in long history of creative insults by Chavez — but was not unprovoked.

In an interview with the U.S. Spanish-language network Univision aired Tuesday, Palin remarked that "through negotiations or sanctions, if necessary, we can pressure dictators like Hugo Chavez to make it clear that they cannot mess with the United States whenever they feel like it."

Speaking at an event to inaugurate a thermoelectric plant, Chavez said he had heard of Palin's remarks.

"The poor thing, you have to feel sorry for her," he said with a dismissive wave of his hand. Palin, he said, is "a beauty queen that they've put in the role of a figurine."
Chavez said one must do as Christ did: "Forgive her, for she knows not what she says."

OUCH MAN! Wow, Hugo 1, Palin 0.

Believe me, I don't like Hugo Chavez anymore than the next person. But if this is the attitude that he and others around the world have about Palin, we'd end up a global laughing stock if she gets into office. I've also been hearing things from family and friends...my niece Jen in San Diego recently worked with a group from various countries, and she wrote to me the other day that they all said, "You're kidding, right? No way!" about Palin as potential VP. They see her as a joke. We've got some major work to do in repairing America's reputation around the world, and having Palin in an executive capacity will not help matters one iota. Except maybe for that Pakistan guy who seemed to want to jump her bones. He'd probably be pretty happy.

Is that really the message we want to send to the rest of the world? Really?

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think that the rest of the world is waiting on us to grow up and elect the best person for leadership, instead of whoever can provide the best rhetoric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your dream was really descriptive. Mine never seem to be that good,just bits and pieces of things. I want to have dreams like you! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back to the scary...are we insulting even more countries when we haven't even finished the war in Iraq? Why don't they just chop off blocks of the US and put it up for auction at the rate they're going. We need a united front, not a anarchy. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a little disappointed that you did not mention what kind of cookie it was (I am being told some fu-fu type of cookie), and also, where did you meet Barry before that he saw your sandals. We must have the facts :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh; that was a dream! makes you wonder how a dream interpreter (which I don't believe in anyway) would interpret this one

    so glad I've voted; I'll skim your political entries but not sure if I'll comment on any more until after the election :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. most people are not going to ever think outside the box. Too set in their ways. Many that are loyal to ONE political party will never even say one nice word about another candidate from another party. Blind leading the blind, i say. Palin is NOT right for our country, period. McCain made a big misstep when choosing her. He will lose this election and why? Because common, HARD WORKING Americans are losing their homes, going hungry and can not pay even their utilities today. I say it every day and i SEE IT EVERY DAY and i do not live in a poverty stricken area. Scary.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth, I just wanted to chime in and say... Keep it going!!! You are on a roll!! Your political observations are spot on! Love it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a dream, but my question is did you have good time? I think in a few days the American people will have chosen the better of the bunch! Out of all the people McCain could have chosen, he picked Palin? That won't be the only reason he will most likely not win, he was too friendly to Bush. He changed his mind on where he stood on issues, a few years back I would have voted for him? One of the MAIN REASONS WE ARE IN THIS MESS, the war, economy, pollution, and a DIVIDED WORLD! To be fair, the World has always been divided, but he assisted to its state its in now! To be fair, the President is always a PUPPET to others, but he could have made it easier on us all!

    Peace&Love
    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay.. the cookie scene in your dream just made me think "drink the koolaid, Beth."... LOL... Unfortunately, Palin won't be the first clueless vice president we've ever had. I wish we had a third choice at this point in this election.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore your entries when you share your dreams with us - they are great! I was grinning the whole time. I think you must have had the big spending on Palins wardrobe on your mind since you modeling a gown for the crowd.

    I didn't hear about Hugo, wow...that is something else.

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?