Monday, March 2, 2009

Unidentified Vegetable Objects


Isn't this an odd-looking thing? It's a Romanesco Cauliflower, although I've also seen it called Romanesco Broccoli. It's a lovely shade of bright green, and the florets have this cool geometric shape. Because we love our cruciferous veggies (and they're so good for you!), and because this was on sale the other day, I got a head of it and fixed it last night. It was very tasty, almost a little milder and nuttier than regular white cauliflower. I will definitely buy it again.

I'm afraid the picture doesn't give the full effect of the Romanesco. I made it hover around Ken's head as I made spaceship sounds, and I really cracked myself up. Ken said, "It looks like some kind of bacteria." I said, "Nah, no bacteria looks like that. A virus, maybe." Ken said, "Yeah!" I'm happy to report that we enjoyed our virus-like, hovering spaceship of a head of cauliflower. Who says we're too old to play with our food?!

Ken's project yesterday was getting the DVD cabinets and wine racks put together. He also put the doors on and the shelves in the additional CD cabinet I ordered a while back. So my job today was to go through the DVDs and CDs and get things rearranged. The ones to be watched are upstairs in a rack in the office, and the ones we've watched are in the cabinets in the basement. I even started arranging them by genre, including horror, comedy, and drama. (I have a small superhero section, too.) I spent the rest of the afternoon rearranging the CD cabinets, and getting the stack(s) that had piled up by the stereo put away and in their proper places (yes, I alphabetize). Man, have I got some good music down there, or what?

Quite a bit of it, too, as you can see from the picture. These cabinets (made by Soricé, and I recommend them highly) hold 300 CDs, and we have 4 of them. I still have a little room to grow, but not much. I think I'll be scaling back on the CD purchases the same way I've scaled back on books. I'm going to have to get caught up on all of this stuff at some point!

20 comments:

  1. Romanesco Cauliflower sounds like something the Gypsies grew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting to organize the DVD's and CD's.

    Hope we never reach the age where we can watch the same movie every day and see it for the first time, that would be a waste many DVD's :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have a LOAD of DVDs! All that, and an extraterrestrial cauliflower, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Romanesco Cauliflower looks wonderful. I've never seen it before but will be looking for it now. I'm a book horder but I sold most of my DVD's during the Oktoberfest yard sale last year and only have a handful of CD's left as well. You have waaaaayyyyy too many DVD's Bethe. Will you ever watch them all again?
    Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cauliflower does look weird. I've never seen this one before. Wow, at your collection of DVDs & CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think we own 10 DVD's total. CD's? not many more than 10. You two have a nice collection.....looks like a mini libary. That cauliflower looks pretty...Megan would love to try something like that. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...thats a huge collection! I have maybe 5 DVD's. There are very few movies that I'd watch again. Very few books I'd read again. I just saw that vegetable at the store over the weekend...Glen likes his traditional cauliflower - what can I say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the process of cataloging my DVD it's out of control now, and so many i haven't even watched lol well done you for getting yours organised.

    Yasmin

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! You guys can open your own NETFLIX!!! LOL!! I haven't tried that Romanesco Cauliflower yet, but if it's better than regular cauliflower (which I'll eat, but I'd rather have something TASTY!), I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cauliflower is too pretty to eat! I never thought the regular kind looked anything like a flower, but this one really does.

    Don't talk to me about organising...I got company coming tomorrow and I'm outta time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. the cali looks like a fractal.


    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one cool looking veggie! I have to say, I've never seen one before. And I thought we had a lot of cds/dvds... you guys have beaten us by leaps and bounds though!
    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think that I had ever heard oleander before you put it on your finetune player ... good sound!

    How do you organize your DVD'S? By genre or alpah? that is how I do my cd's and cassettes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have this wonderful book store 'Half Price Books'...that buy / sell used books and cd's and dvd's....you could sell the ones you don't want to make room for more! I looked at their website there isn't one in your area but there is one in Dayton so maybe you could save them and take them when you go there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Romanesco cauliflower looks to pretty to eat :o) ~
    You do have a vast collection of DVD's hope you have more space to put up some more shelves ~ :o) ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh great....Thanks, Miss A., I've got a million things to get done this morning, and here I sit now having HAD to look up fractal:   
    –noun Mathematics, Physics. a geometrical or physical structure having an irregular or fragmented shape at all scales of measurement between a greatest and smallest scale such that certain mathematical or physical properties of the structure, as the perimeter of a curve or the flow rate in a porous medium, behave as if the dimensions of the structure (fractal dimensions) are greater than the spatial dimensions
    AND NO I'm NOT looking up spatial! Well, not right now, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Romanesco Cauliflowers. Pity they are a bit expensive here!!! Full of vitamins and good staff though. What a massive collection of CDs!!! I guess you're not using an ipod! All the best. Ciao. Antonella

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok, no offense to that green thing, and I'm sure it's good for you and all, but on a visual level, I just couldn't go there. Nope, I'm fickle that way.
    And holy Shit, you guys have a lot, I mean A LOT of Dvd and such. Wow..........
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool veggie :) I like picking out weird looking things too.
    LMBO @ the spaceship sounds! You sound so much like me!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I couldn't even begin to imagine where we would put that many DVD's. I know Paul's music room is ran over with CD's and musical equipment, but with him being a musician that's normal....

    The Romanesco Cauliflower looks interesting, I wounder if I could trick Paul with that. He doesn't like Cauliflower but this isn't the same shape or color. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?