Monday, October 12, 2009

Are you ready to rawwk?!

Silver Squirrel Award We have co-winners of the Silver Squirrel Award, with my Route 66 pal Lulu knowing that the show was "Police Squad!" and the actor was Leslie Nielson. Tim knew the other part of the question, that the movies based on the show were the Naked Gun movies. Milwaukee Dan #2 also knew the show and actor, but weighed in after Lulu and Tim. Nicely done, folks, and I love it that so many of you share my enjoyment of pop culture trivia.

Can you believe "Police Squad!" ran for only six episodes? I really need to get that DVD collection, because it's still funny stuff. As Dan pointed out, the opening theme song is awesome. For those of us who remember the cop shows from the 60's and 70's (A Quinn Martin production!), "Police Squad!" was a hoot. Look up some clips on YouTube if you get a chance. I still find the movies funny, too, although it's odd to see O.J. Simpson playing in a rather sympathetic film role. He certainly does take a beating, though. Hmm, I don't think we have those movies, either. Must rectify that situation.

As for my "-pedia" entry yesterday, Darren, I totally forgot about Dickipedia, the Wiki of people who are dicks. A friend of mine sent that to me a while back, and it would have been a fine addition, as is it another genuinely funny one, well-written, and clever. (Thanks for the reminder, Darren!) I liked the entry on Michele Bachmann:

DickipediaIn addition to being a dick, Bachmann's track record has proven she is also a full-fledged nutjob. The type of person that makes you turn to your friend the moment she gets up to use the bathroom and mouth "She's craaaaaaazy," complete with hand motions and bug-eyes.

While Bachmann has always been a local dick, she didn't come onto the national dick scene until the 2008 election when she accused Barack Obama and many members of Congress of being "anti-American."

Like her pal Palin, Bachmann is deceptively attractive. While Palin is attractive in a "if she just put down that gun, took off those glasses, and started forming complete sentences" sort of way, Bachmann has the whole girl next door thing working for her. But only if you grew up next to an insane asylum.

So Saturday night was my sister Diana's Beatles Rock Band party. We figured we'd go and hang out a while, be spectators rather than players, not make a late night of it...screw that! Maybe it was the shot of Blavod black vodka courage I did before we started playing (Who knew there was such a thing as black vodka? Where does my sister find this stuff?), but I joined in singing backup pretty quickly, and I think Ken sat down on the very first song to play the drums. I eventually sang lead on some songs, and although I think I'm really a crummy singer, I did better than I expected, and even did okay on some of the harmonies! I tried drums once and really sucked, so that will take some practice. Man, I had no idea how much fun that would be. We didn't leave until after 2 AM, because we were all having so much fun. Oh, and I only took one picture, of Ken at the drums, because I was having too much fun playing. My brother-in-law took more, so I'll see if he'll send them to me.

Ken at drums Of course, this got Ken and I talking about getting a Wii. We had talked about it when we played it at our friends Kim and Steve's place, but decided not to spend the money. We were kind of thinking that way this time, too, but Ken came up with the brilliant idea of using American Express rewards points to get it, and has already ordered a Wii, a guitar, a sports pack, and the software for classic rock songs. I'll use the points that I have on my card to get some gift cards to use at the grocery store, then we'll order the rock band bundle (drums, guitar, and mike) and the original software from Amazon tonight. A little creative financing there, but it should let us order this stuff without spending anything except the points we earn through the credit cards. How cool is that?

I've never been much of a gamer, but Rock Band changes everything. I think I'll even take a cue from my pal Greg and tie a scarf on the mike stand, a la Steven Tyler. To paraphrase Stevie Ray Vaughn, if Nutwood's rockin', don't bother knockin'...come on in!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,
    What a perfect description of Michele Bachman!
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, You all should check out the Wii Active...a fun way to burn calories hitting a punching bag, targets with balls, baseball, tennis, basketball, valleyball, it is really fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUST THE SIGHT OF HIM ON THOSE DRUMS NEARLY BROUGHT ON A HEART ATTACK. My alcoholic neighbors made us suffer and have the police out for several months and since it was deliberate along with a any other thing they could do the police threatened to fine the parents and it stopped. I will post about Mike tomorrow. I don't want to use your space. Have fun and do not ever think that a snow won't happen, these are freakish for us also. Hope not though. Enjoy whatever you get. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. How I loved all of those Quinn-Martin shows. I must now go see if they're available from Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In about two weeks, we will be having Wii-to-much fun :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would personally love a Wii, Beth - but between the cable box, the DVD recorder/VCR, and the Region-free upconverting DVD player, we really don't have another slot on our television. Also, Tammy would rather stick white-hot needles in her eyes than have a game console, ANY game console, hooked up to the television....

    Too bad Nintendo doesn't have Blu-Ray capability on the Wii - that way, I could sell it to her as a Blu-Ray player. :D While the PS3 has Blu-Ray, I don't want a standard game console any more than Tammy does - but the Wii looks like a ton of fun. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kailyn, CANNON, THE INVADERS and THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO are all available on Netflix.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there Beth!!! What's a girl gotta do to get an invite to come watch you and Ken perform? Loove that picture of Ken, now have him take one of you! You guys crack me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bucko looks like he is in drums heaven. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHA! This made my day.
    Michele Bachmann is seriously a disgrace to the USA, MN, and the 6th. If you're interested in getting rid of Bachmann, support democratic candidate Dr. Maureen Reed! You can learn more about Maureen, and donate, at:
    http://maureenreedforcongress.com/
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maureen_Reed

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will love it and become an addict when you first have it. The drums are the hardest to conquer in my opinion. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you guys will have a blast. we love our guitar hero and it's easy to rawk out for hours before you realize the sun is coming up! lol
    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete

I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?